RSS Feed

  1. Swede Hedblom eyes ‘fairytale’ victory in Perth

    Comments Off on Swede Hedblom eyes ‘fairytale’ victory in Perth

    April 17, 2019 by admin

    “Definitely, I love fairytales,” Hedblom told reporters after carding a second-round three-under-par 69 which moved him to seven-under, a two-shot cushion over England’s Ross Fisher.

    南宁桑拿

    “My best friend on Tour, Michael Jonzon, in 2009 he was like me, way back and needed to win.

    “I think he needed top three in Castellon in 2009, which was his last tournament, and he won it, beat Martin Kaymer. That was a fairytale story.”

    Hedblom, who started the round in a four-way tie for the lead, mixed six birdies to offset three bogeys at the Lake Karrinyup Country Club.

    “It’s been two great days. But my golf is strange right now, because I hit really good shots, and some really poor shots, but my putting has been good,” Hedblom added. “So it’s great right now to be leading.”

    Hedblom, whose third and last Tour win came in the 2009 Johnnie Walker Championship at Gleneagles, has had a disappointing year and missed seven of his first eight cuts in 2013.

    “It’s especially hard when you know you have a game and you know you can compete with the best players,” he said. “Then you do it for five holes, you do it for nine holes, you do it for 18 holes but not 72 holes.

    “It’s been hard. If I can do it this week, it’s very hard to… but it would be unreal.”

    England’s Paul Casey, a 12-times winner on the European Tour, missed the cut by a stroke.

    American Ryder Cup player Dustin Johnson was six shots off the pace after a two-over 74, while defending champion and his compatriot Bo van Pelt was four shots behind the leader.

    (Writing by Sudipto Ganguly; editing by Ed Osmond)


  2. Ozil fit for table-topping Arsenal against Norwich

    Comments Off on Ozil fit for table-topping Arsenal against Norwich

    April 17, 2019 by admin

    The German international midfielder, who joined Arsenal for 42.

    南宁桑拿

    5 million pounds $68.63 million (42.31 million pounds) at the end of the transfer window, took a knock to the knee playing for Germany against Sweden on Tuesday but Wenger said he was expected to be fit and could line up alongside Santi Cazorla, for the first time.

    Cazorla, who has recovered from an ankle injury, has not played since Arsenal beat Tottenham at the beginning of September.

    “The latest news is very good for Ozil. Cazorla is fit but has not played for a long time and (defender Bacary) Sagna’s ankle looks alright.

    “Everyone looks fit and ready. I am very happy with the way the team has been playing up till now. What is important is that instead of focusing on one or two players we are focusing on developing ourselves as a team and improving our team play.”

    NOT LOST

    Wenger also said it was important for the team to pick up quickly where they left off before the international break if they are going to challenge for the title.

    Arsenal have not lost since the opening day of the season and currently lead the table, on goals scored, from Liverpool.

    They both have 16 points from seven games, two clear of Chelsea and Southampton.

    “At the top level, one of the keys is to be able to switch on and off when it is right. The quality that is needed after a long break is to switch on again in a very quick, fast and efficient way. I am confident that we will do that.”

    Norwich come to the Emirates Stadium in 18th place with only two wins so far but while Arsenal start as favourites, Wenger is not taking anything for granted.

    “We have learned something in the last 18 months, which is that the Premier League has changed.

    “Every single game is a potential danger for any team in the league and recent results have confirmed that.

    “I believe every team that is a favourite today is on its toes because everyone knows the potential dangers.”

    Wenger added that Theo Walcott, who has missed Arsenal’s last five matches as well as England’s two World Cup qualifiers against Montenegro and Poland with an abdominal injury, is still two weeks away from returning to the squad.

    Also absent are Yaya Sanogo (back), Lukas Podolski (hamstring), Abou Diaby (knee) and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (knee), who will remain sidelined for longer.

    (Reporting by Mike Collett; Editing by John O’Brien)


  3. Indian police arrest 35 crew of US ship

    Comments Off on Indian police arrest 35 crew of US ship

    April 17, 2019 by admin

    Police in southern India have arrested all 35 crew members on board a US ship which was detained last week, news reports say.

    南宁桑拿

    Police boarded the Seaman Guard Ohio docked at the VO Chidambaram Port in Tuticorin town and arrested 10 crew members and 25 security guards, the Times of India newspaper reported on Friday.

    The ship was detained on Saturday by the Indian Coast Guard off the Tamil Nadu coast. Thirty-one assault rifles and over 5000 rounds of ammunition were seized, the report said citing police sources.

    The vessel is owned by US-based firm AdvanFort International Inc, which provides maritime security services to ships against pirate attacks. The vessel is registered in Sierra Leone.

    It did not obtain permits for carrying weapons before entering Indian waters, a coastal security officer was cited as saying.

    The AdvanFort management in a press statement thanked the Indian Coast Gurad and Tuticorin port officials for allowing the vessel to enter the port to refuel and escape the impact of Cyclone Phailin which hit the area late Saturday.

    The ship management said the men on board provided counter-piracy protection and all equipment on board was properly registered and licenced to AdvanFort.

    Thirty-three of the men arrested were taken to a police station for questioning while two were allowed to remain on the ship for maintenance work, police said.

    The crew comprises two Ukrainians and eight Indians while the security guards comprised six British nationals, 14 Estonians, one Ukrainian and four Indians.

    The passports of the men had been confiscated and they were likely to appear in court later Friday for remand.

    The men had been booked under sections of the Indian Arms Act that forbids possession of weapons without permission, police were quoted as saying.

    They had also been charged under the Essential Commodities Act for acquiring fuel in Indian waters in an unauthorised manner, the Times of India reported.


  4. Archbishop urges new refugee debate

    Comments Off on Archbishop urges new refugee debate

    April 17, 2019 by admin

    The Anglican Church has called for a sane conversation on asylum seekers after Australia’s major parties descended to the political basement on the issue during the election campaign.

    南宁桑拿

    Anglican Archbishop of Adelaide Jeffrey Driver said Labor and the coalition essentially tried to outbid each other with measures that set aside the facts and disregarded elements of basic humanity.

    “The recent federal election saw the debate about asylum seekers descend to the political basement.”

    He said Labor’s no benefit scheme, to send all those arriving by boat to another country, was inhumane and used vulnerable people to discourage people smugglers.

    While he said the coalition’s answer was to turn back the boats, although no-one could explain how the voyage back to places like Indonesia would be less risky than continuing.

    “We have had the election and it is time to resume a sane conversation on this difficult subject,” Archbishop Driver told the Anglican Adelaide synod on Friday.

    The archbishop said it would be helpful if everyone put aside language that so often pervaded the debate including the nonsense that asylum seekers were queue jumpers or that they were illegal arrivals.

    He said there must be appropriate border controls and he knew of no-one who suggested Australia have an open-door policy to take a limitless number of refugees.

    “But this problem is not going to go away and even if they are reduced somewhat, the boats will keep coming,” Archbishop Driver said.

    “This is because they are part of a global phenomenon.

    “For all that we might do here in Australia, this phenomenon needs to be addressed with the help of global partners and as close as possible to the place of first refuge.

    “Despite the political rhetoric, the human problem has not gone away.”


  5. Maldives elections in doubt: official

    Comments Off on Maldives elections in doubt: official

    April 17, 2019 by admin

    The Maldives’ electoral commission has warned that the weekend’s presidential polls could be scrapped at the last minute as two of the candidates have still to endorse the voting roll.

    南宁桑拿

    Just hours before voting was due to open, commission chairman Fuwad Thowfeek said on Friday former president Mohamed Nasheed was the only one of the three candidates who had approved the lists – a legal prerequisite for Saturday’s contest to proceed.

    “So far, only Nasheed has signed,” Thowfeek told reporters in the capital Male. “If the election is not held tomorrow, then the rights of one candidate (Nasheed) will be violated.”

    While urging the other two candidates – Abdullah Yameen and Qasim Ibrahim – to endorse the list of names, Thowfeek acknowledged the pair could prevent the contest from taking place.

    “Tomorrow’s election is in their hands,” he said.

    Nasheed, a pro-democracy campaigner who claims he was ousted in a coup last year, won 45.45 per cent of the votes cast when the Indian Ocean archipelago went to the polls for a first round of voting on September 7.

    Yameen, who is the half brother of the islands’ long-time ruler Maumoon Abdul Gayoom, garnered 25.35 per cent of the vote and would have faced Nasheed in a run-off against Nasheed last month.

    But the Supreme Court subsequently annulled the result, citing irregularities, although international observers said the polls were free and fair.

    The decision to order a re-run this Saturday also allowed the third-placed candidate Ibrahim, who had launched the legal challenge, to re-enter the contest.

    While there was no immediate comment from Ibrahim’s camp on Friday, Yameen’s campaign manager Abdulla Ameen told reporters that his team needed time to study the voter lists.

    “We also want to hold the elections, but in accordance with the Supreme Court order,” Ameen said.

    There has been heavy international pressure to ensure that the Maldives chooses a new president by November 11 in line with the fledgling democracy’s constitution.

    Regional power India rushed foreign secretary Sujatha Singh for talks with political leaders on Thursday to ensure that the elections go ahead.

    “I’m not here to tell them what to do,” Singh told India’s The Hindu newspaper in Male. “I’m here to encourage them to do what they themselves set out to do.”

    Political tensions have remained high on the honeymoon islands ever since Nasheed was toppled following a mutiny by police in February 2012.

    Outgoing president Mohamed Waheed, who has antagonised foreign allies since taking office after Nasheed, has announced he will not run on Saturday and has promised to ensure a smooth transition of power.

    He was humiliated at the September 7 poll, winning just over five per cent of the vote.